Everyone searches for something every day on any online platform, whether it’s Google or social media like Facebook. Some of these social networks offer the ability to delete what was previously searched. Therefore, you may have ended up here because you don’t know how to delete your Instagram history. So in this article we will explain how to do it.
Update your app
Before we move on to our central objective, which is deleting Instagram history, let’s first update the app. This will ensure that it’s in the latest version and that all the steps and tools will be in place when you perform the process of deleting recent searches. If your smartphone has the Android operating system, open the app store, the Google Play Store, and in the search bar enter “Instagram”. When the app is displayed, click “Update” so that the latest version a is downloaded to your device.
If your device is iOS (i.e. iPhone), to update the app you need to open your local app store, the App Store, click on your photo in the top right corner. On that screen, drag from top to bottom and refresh the list.
When you do this, all the apps listed for update will appear. You can either scroll until you find Instagram, or click OK to go back and, in the bottom right corner, click “Search” and, in the search bar above, enter “Instagram”. If the “Refresh” button appears, click to download the social network’s latest update. Otherwise, the “Open” button will appear to activate the app for use. Once we’re done, we can proceed with the steps below to delete your Instagram history.
- Select the Instagram app and click on the magnifying glass;
- Now select the search bar. At this point, you will be able to see all the searches you have made. To delete them, click on the X on the right hand side at the end of each search you have made;
- You can also click on the “See all” option in blue just above the X. This will expand the list of searches and you will be able to select the “Clear all” option to perform a bulk delete instead of deleting search by search.
There’s another way to delete your Instagram history that takes a little longer, but works identically to the instructions above. If you don’t perform searches, but rather, for example, edit your profile, perhaps this way is easier.
- Select the Instagram app on your smartphone and click on the icon on the right that leads to your profile;
- Now select the icon made up of three horizontal lines in the top right corner;
- When the options are displayed, choose “Settings” using the wheel icon;
- In front of the account settings options, select “Security”, indicated by the shield icon with a ticked symbol in the centre;
- Then choose the last option in the list, “Clear search history”, with the magnifying glass icon;
- At this point, you will see the screen with all searches performed. You will be able to delete one search at a time, depending on your wishes, or even, in the top right corner, click on “Clear all”, in blue, so that the whole list is permanently deleted.
In the browser it’s just as easy as in the mobile app. In this case, just log in to your account and, on the main page, click on the “Search” field accompanied by a magnifying glass icon, and the search list will be displayed. You can then select which search you want to delete as a whole, or you can also click on “Clear all” so that the entire history is permanently deleted.