If when you try to open the AMD Catalyst Control Center you receive the error message ” Catalyst Control Center cannot be started“, then this post is meant to help you. In this article, we will identify the possible causes and provide the corresponding solutions that you can try to fix this problem.
When you encounter this problem, you receive the following full error message;
Catalyst Control Center cannot be started.
There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center.
When this error occurs, you will not be able to open the Catalyst Control Center and therefore make changes to the settings.
The reason for this issue is usually related to driver issues. Either the driver files are corrupted or a compatibility issue is causing this problem.
AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started
AMD Catalyst Control Center (formerly known as ATI Catalyst Control Center) is a device driver and utility package for the ATI/AMD line of video cards.
If you face this Catalyst Control Center cannot be started issue on your AMD based Windows 8.1/10 PC, you can try our recommended solutions in the order presented below to resolve the issue.
- Install the ccc2_install file
- Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers
- Clean install graphics drivers
Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved regarding each of the listed solutions.
1]Install the ccc2_install file
This solution requires you to run a file named ccc2_install in AMD folder. It is known that once you run this file, the Catalyst Control Center cannot be started problem will be solved.
- Hurry Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog, copy and paste the file/directory path below and press Enter.
- At the location there should be a ccc2_install application file.
- Right click on the file and select Execute as administrator.
After running the file, the issue should be resolved. Otherwise, proceed to the next solution.
2]Uninstall and reinstall graphics drivers
Since the problem is caused by the drivers, this solution simply requires uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers.
- Now that the latest Intel drivers are installed, you can proceed to uninstall AMD drivers/software through the Programs and Features applet.
- Once you’ve done that, invoke the Run dialog box, type the file/directory path below and press Enter.
- At the location, press CTRL+A to select the content, then press WIPE OFF on your keyboard.
- Now download and install the latest version of AMD drivers.
- Restart your PC once the AMD drivers are installed.
PC users with an AMD processor and an AMD graphics cardproceed as follows:
If you have AMD/APU processors, you don’t need to download Intel graphics drivers. AMD drivers from their official site will be enough for you.
So, repeat the steps given above to uninstall and reinstall AMD drivers/software, but before doing so, temporarily disable Windows update via services.
After completing the procedure and restarting your computer, the Catalyst Control Center cannot be started problem should be solved. Otherwise, proceed to the next solution.
3]Clean install graphics drivers
If solution 2 above did not work for you, you may need to perform a fresh install of the graphics drivers.
To note: If you also have Intel and AMD graphics, make sure to update Intel graphics before installing AMD graphics. To see the PC users with an Intel processor and an AMD graphics card section in answer 2 (if you haven’t already) and follow the steps.
Also, before trying to install the drivers, make sure your antivirus application is disabled. These third-party security apps are known to cause issues with the installation process. Once you have disabled the AV program in the system tray/notification area to the right of the taskbar, you can now continue as follows:
- Download the display driver uninstaller utility.
This utility erases previous graphics drivers and all their leftover files. This is useful as it ensures that the latest driver is correctly installed. Most of the time, your new driver will not install correctly because of the previous version and its remaining conflicting files.
- Once done, download the latest AMD drivers as described in Solution 2 above.
- Then erase the contents of the C:\AMD directory as shown in solution 2.
- Then temporarily disable Windows Update from Services.
- Next, uninstall AMD drivers/software through the Programs and Features applet.
- Now you will need to boot into safe mode to run the display driver uninstaller.
- Once the display driver uninstaller has finished its job, you can now install the AMD drivers you downloaded.
Once the drivers are installed, restart your PC normally. On startup, you should have a clean install of the drivers and Catalyst Control Center cannot be started problem should be solved.
Related : How to Listen to Spotify Offline on Mobile and Windows 10